definitions for a general audience

Rick H Kennerly Rick at MOUSEHERDER.COM
Sat Aug 10 11:33:56 UTC 2002

|o| > Anyway, my assignment is to rewrite a very large number of
|o| definitions for
|o| > art related subject headings, things such as: abstraction,
|o| aestheticism,
|o| > allegory, classicism, etc. Can anyone out there suggest
|o| resources which
|o| might
|o| > orient me to think in terms of what a general audience can comprehend?

I have a friend who died last month but who, until that time, had been a
buyer for the National Gallery gift shop in DC.  Despite Mary's  BA, MA, &
MFA in fine arts, she referenced a volume of that ubiquitous series of black
& yellow books when writing copy for her display cards, "Art for Dummies".

rhk