"Bargaining Chip": Antedating & Mystery

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sat Aug 10 23:11:54 UTC 2002

The earliest citation in OED for "bargaining chip," contributed by me, is
dated 1965.  Here is an antedating I have found:

1960 E. B. Potter _Sea Power: A Naval History_ 548  In the event of a
British defeat, his [Churchill's] government might be turned out of office
and another group might use the fleet as bargaining chips at the surrender
table.

For years I have been posing a question about "bargaining chip" that no
one has yet answered.  This is widely assumed to be a poker metaphor, but
I do not know of chips being used for bargaining in poker or any other
game.  What exactly is the metaphor?

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,