Canadian raising

Gordon, Matthew J. GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Mon Aug 12 23:32:19 UTC 2002

In a message dated 8/12/02 10:07:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
flanigan at OHIOU.EDU writes:

> We have "Canadian" raising all through Minnesota, with the /au/ as in
> "about"--> 'aboot' stronger the farther north you go but the /ay/ as in
> "right/night" rhyming with "kite" common throughout the state (and in me).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but are you suggesting that  Canadian Raisers have a phonemic split between 'right' and 'kite'? I thought both of these word classes were subject to raising and that the relevant conditioning was voicing so that prevoiced /ay/  (e.g., ride) was not raised.