Debris Sandwich (Mother's in New Orleans)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Aug 13 02:15:13 UTC 2002

DEBRIS SANDWICH

   This is a horrible name for a sandwich, perhaps, but I find it amusing.  It's not trademarked.  It's on the Dow Jones database from 23 March 1988, and appears to have been invented at Mother's in New Orleans.  Mother's has also expanded to Omaha in the past year or so.  There are only about 15 Dow Jones hits and 20 Google hits.  (It's not even on Roadfood.com.)  However, it'll grow in popularity.
   Mother's says it's made with "all the beef that falls in the gravy" while roasting.  A "debris" sandwich is usually roast beef and ham, with pickles, cabbage and mayonaise.  Natchez, also in New Orleans, serves it with sliced pot orast and coleslaw.
   Another regional American dish!

PARVE--There were no early trademarks, but I did notice "GRANDMA IDA'S OLD FASHIONED MONDEL BREAD ENJOYED SINCE 1912 K PARVE."  1912?  So why does it have a "first use" of September 1992 and "first use in commerce" of June 1994?

DRAGONFLY DUMPLINGS & VOODOO STICKS--Served at the Red Bamboo, a "Vegetarian Soul Cafe" here on West 4th Street in NYC.  Not any Google hits for these, but there are some hits for "dragon dumplings."

BOOR-BOOR (Mongolian meat pocket) & DAN YUN SPECIAL PANCAKES--Served at Kong Luh in Arlington and reviewed in the Boston newspapers.  I didn't see these "Mongolian" items anywhere else.  "Mongolian hot pot" is everywhere, but that appears to be it for "Mongolian" in the U.S.