In defense of etymological speculation

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Tue Aug 13 14:52:07 UTC 2002

I somehow first sent this response just to Frank when I meant to send
it to the list; *why* doesn't the LISTSERV software use a proper
Reply-To?!?

Frank Abate said:
>John Baker said:
>

>For example, the similarity between "bulldyke" and "bulldog" is so great
>that it would take strong evidence to convince me that there is no
>connection . . .
>
>         For a different kind of example, the suggestion was made in another
>post that "bargaining chip" may derive from "chit."  That seems entirely
>plausible, and in fact "bargaining chit" is sometimes seen.  I took a look,
>and the "bargaining chit" cites seem to be both few in number and relatively
>recent, doubtless influenced by the same logic that led to consideration of
>"chit" in the first place.  I would argue that even this kind of negative
>information is of value.

There may be something phonological going on there also, by which
unreleased /p/ is interpreted as unreleased or glottalized /t/ (which
some phonologists treat as the "default" consonant, or obstruent,
anyway). A few years ago, when I was researching glottal replacement
of /t/, I tripped over a usenet posting in which the stereotypical
Down East (Maine) "ayup" (for "yes"), was written "ayut" with a
description that implied glottal stop--this was in a baseball
discussion group!). More recently, in a discussion of vampires and
werewolves (again in a baseball group!), I jotted down a reference to
"Loot Garoo" (Loup Garou). So, if "bargaining chip" isn't seen as a
transparent compound based on the word "chip" (the etymological
discussion suggests that this isn't terribly likely), a phonological
reanalysis seems just as likely.

Alice
Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963