What is ADS-L?

Matthew Gordon GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Wed Aug 14 16:17:06 UTC 2002

Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> Perhaps you misunderstand the purpose for this list, which is intended
> for academic professionals and other serious linguists to discuss matters
> of relevance to the English language in America. It is not supposed to be
> a place where anyone can wander in and have any random comment addressed
> at length by experts, regardless of merit.

I disagree somewhat with Jesse's characterization of ADS-L. While I certainly do
find it a valuable forum for discussing scholarly issues with fellow
professional/'serious' linguists, I think that amateur linguists and
non-linguists can also play a valuable role. There have been numerous questions
of usage (e.g., do you say 'pantsing' or 'depantsing'?) to which nonlinguists on
the list have offered useful responses. They also provide lots of data for
people interested in Prestonian perceptual dialectology [ I wrote that mainly to
impress DInIs].

By the same token, I think we professionals can provide a service to amateurs. I
recall several inquiries from teachers and others seeking solid information on
American English or linguistics in general. Wouldn't we rather they get it here
than from the popular press or other sources they're likely to consult? Anyway,
many posts from nonlinguists have prompted interesting discussions.

So, this academic professional votes that ADS-L SHOULD be a place where anyone
can wander in and post comments or questions about English or language.  I think
the key point in Jesse's post is that we are not obligated to address at length
those comments that we feel don't merit serious consideration.