origin and definition of 'analyte'

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Wed Aug 14 17:47:56 UTC 2002

In a message dated 8/14/02 1:26:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
AHami93942 at AOL.COM writes:

> The word is, "analyte", as I understand it means something that is to be
> analyzed.

At the risk of commiting an etymological speculation, I could point out the
obvious analogy with "electrolysis" and "electrolyte" (both words in MWCD10
from 1834---I don't have references handy but I think both were coined by
Faraday) and with "metabolism" and "metabolite".

MWCD10 also has "lysis" and "lysate" (1922, "a product of lysis") and "lyse"
(1924, back-formation from NL lysis).  Hmmm, "Lysate" rather than "lysite" or
"lite".

Further down the page (696, column 2) we get "-lyte noun comb form [Gk lytos
that may be untied, soluble, fr. lyein] substance capable of undergoing
(such) decomposition"

I haven't run across "catalyte" = "product of a catalyzed reaction".

Sounds to me like playfulness on the part of some laboratory chemist with too
much time on her hands.  "You want us to do some analysis?  Sure, just send
over the analyte".

     - Jim Landau
       systems engineer