the list

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Wed Aug 14 19:38:00 UTC 2002

> I think we need a list FAQ. It should not be a general FAQ, "all about
> the ADS", though it should include a pointer to the website, and we
> might some time want to create such a general FAQ. The list FAQ should
> be brief, telling the reader what the list is about and for, what sort
> of questions and discussion are welcome, and what is considered out of
> order.
>
> I would be unhappy to see the list closed to the general public. There
> are alternatives. The least exclusionary would be "Welcome!
> Please read the FAQ before posting, available at [URL] or by sending a
> request [thus formatted] to [this address]."

I agree that such intermediary steps should be taken before closing the
list.

Personally, I generally don't have a problem with the volume or contents of
the postings to this list. Problem posters are few and far between and I
think the list currently strikes a good balance, serious but welcoming to
thoughtful non-professionals.

One potential downside to closing list to non-ADS members would be that the
value of the ADS-L archive would sharply diminish. Many of the questions
posed by the "amateurs" give the "professionals" an opportunity to present
information that goes beyond the one-line etymologies found in dictionaries
and makes the archive a rather valuable reference tool, a one-stop shop for
the latest processed etymological data. Also, questions prompt members to
post their most recent findings. Some, like Fred Shapiro and Barry Popik,
dutifully send in regular updates on their research, but many others only do
so when prompted with a question. Without the participation of the
interested public, I'm afraid the scope of the archive would be curtailed.