Bi-Sexual (1912); FUGS & Mongolian

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Aug 16 00:21:31 UTC 2002

BULLDYKE/BULLDIKE/BULL DYKE/BULL DIKE--I failed to find this on the NYPL database of Victorian Women Writers.  ("Bi-sexual" wasn't there, either.)  I had a hunch that the term dates from the Civil War, but I didn't find it on the Civil War CD-Rom database.

UKRAINE COOKERY & TARAS SHEVCHENKO LIBRARY--No surprise, but my Ukraine tour guide hasn't e-mailed me with any further information about Ukrainian cookery.
   I went to the Taras Shevchenko Library (on Fourth Avenue, near NYU) today and copied parts of the 1937 cookbook and the 1991 cookbook (reprinted from 1913).  If Gerald Cohen thinks he can read it or anyone else wants to try reading Ukrainian, I'll snail mail the cookbook pages...A brief check by the librarian who copied them failed to find a "Chicken Kiev" recipe in either cookbook.

HALAL/HALAAL/HARAM/HARAAM--I'M WORKING ON THIS!  I ONLY HAVE TWO HANDS!

BI-SEXUAL--OED has 1914, and Fred Shapiro posted a citation from 1912.  BI-SEXUAL MAN, OR: EVOLUTION OF THE SEXES (Chicago: M. A. Donohue, 1912) by  Francis Isabel Wymore and Francis H. Buzzacott (see the OCLC WorldCat database) is definitely worth looking at for "bi-sexual."  "Bi-Sexual Man" is also the title of an essay in the book OUR PLANET, ITS PAST & FUTURE, OR LECTURES ON GEOLOGY (1870), also seen on WorldCat, although I don't know if this book on geology will be relevant.

FUGS & THE MONGOLIAN CLUSTER FUCK--I knew there was some reason I was going to Mongolia...I went to the NYU Fales Collection just to be sure, and yes, nothing of the Brownstone Food Collection can be accessed now.  While there, I took a look at the collection of FUGS material.  YEAH magazine (1961-1965) had an anti-war issue in 1965, and I'll look for "the whole nine yards" there.
   In an undated "Ed Sanders Newsletter" (from about March 1966, according to the contents):  "Mongolian Cluster Fuck, my last movie before being freaked, has been hidden in a lead container, at the home of a famous Long Island real estate tycoon."
   "ABOLISH PROHIBITION!  LEMAR!"--This is used in THE MARIJUANA NEWSLETTER, 15 March 1965, right under the banner.  Lemar=Legalize Marijuana.
   May 16, 1965 letter in file, from Tuli Kupferberg--"Djever fuck a book?" and "5 mad sexercises for yr newmag."
   "SQUACK SQUAD"-seen in several pieces here.