Jones and Jones

A. Maberry maberry at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Fri Aug 16 17:25:15 UTC 2002

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, James A. Landau wrote:

> > HALAL/HALAAL/HARAM/HARAAM--I'M WORKING ON THIS!  I ONLY HAVE TWO HANDS!
>
> I think you're confusing two words.  "Halal" refers to Moslem dietary laws.
> "Haram" means something like "enclosure" or "compound", as in
> "Haram-es-Sharif", the "Noble Sanctuary" (known in English as the "Temple
> Mount"; site of the Dome of the Rock, sacred to Moslem's as the site of the
> Sacrifice of Isaac).

In this context "halal" = permitted, "haram" = prohibited. Haram basically
means "forbidden, prohibited, interdicted; taboo, holy, sacred,
sacrosanct, s.th. sacred, sacred object; sacred possession; wife; sanctum,
sanctuary, sacred precinct ..."

Haram doesn't have anything to do with "enclosure" except when it
designates a sacred place, such as "The Temple Mount" al-Haram al-sharif,
etc.

allen
maberry at u.washington.edu