Microwave Metal?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Aug 16 22:14:12 UTC 2002

At 2:23 PM -0700 8/16/02, A. Maberry wrote:
>I wouldn't consider Pyrex to count as a pan either, although the ones that
>are pan shaped with handles like pans present a problem for me. I think of
>Pyrex as dishes or bowls or casseroles, etc. I don't know where
>to locate the Pyrex dish/Pyrex pan line ... maybe somewhere south of an
>imaginary line drawn between New Haven and Seattle perhaps.  On the other
>hand, maybe the subconscious reason I never purchased the pan shaped Pyrex
>cookware was simply because I had no way to refer to it.

Aha.  A pre-emptive strike on Whorf.  I love it.

Yeah, I agree if there's a handle, that would make it hard to decide,
but I guess all my pyrex ware is either rounded-dish-shaped or
bowl-shaped, with no handle.  (Besides which, the handle would
probably make it stick out of the microwave.)  I do have ceramic
bowls that used to have handles, but the handles broke off at some
point--accident?  I think not.  Oh, and a Corningware thingy that has
two little handles and a glass lid and that can be microwaved.  I'm
not sure what I call it, other than "the Corningware thingy".

But I do think there must be an isogloss for "glass pan", which for
me (and Douglas Bigham, with his rice dinner) is really impossible.
Maybe not an actual geographical isogloss, though, although the line
of latitude is tempting.