Jones and Jones

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Aug 17 21:08:44 UTC 2002

At 4:38 PM -0400 8/17/02, James A. Landau wrote:

>Most of the numbered Avenues lose their numbers in Harlem---I personally saw
>Malcolm X Avenue and Frederick Douglass Avenue and another one whose name I
>don't recall offhand.  Here there is an obvious explanation---in Harlem of
>Harlem Renaissance fame why not rename avenues after celebrated African
>Americans, starting with one who was an absolute institution in the US
>Congress, namely Adam Clayton Powell.  That however leaves me wondering about
>that famous black hero, Mr. Lenox.

It's not just a Harlem, or black, thang.  The numbered avenues change
to named ones quite a bit further down:  Columbus, Amsterdam, St.
Nicholas, etc.  (Well, I suppose St. Nicholas is now part of Harlem,
as is Lenox, but this trend clearly predated the renaming of avenues
after Powell and other African-American icons.)

larry