FW: terms "worm, virus, infect" (Was: Re: KLEZ)

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Tue Aug 20 16:56:57 UTC 2002

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 05:52:34PM +0100, Michael Quinion wrote:
> > firewall – software or a dedicated system through which all
> > Internet traffic is channeled, to protect against viruses or
> > unauthorized use.
> >
> > Using various software filters and validation schemes, a
> > firewall screens all data flowing from the outside world to an
> > internal network, intercepting viruses and keeping hackers from
> > breaking in.  The computer sense can be traced back to 1987, in a
> > technical paper titled “Reliability in Distributed Programming
> > Environments” by G.E. Kaiser and S.M. Kaplan.
>
> Or, using Google Groups, to 21 Feb 1985 on net.mail.headers:

[deleted]

Or, looking at the OED, which has had this entry up since last
December:

1983 D. Bischoff _War Games_ xii. 206 Shit. Can we invade
the deep logic? We keep hitting a damn fire wall.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED