"Babysit" as transitive

Wed Aug 21 12:35:38 UTC 2002

Still transitive for me; I first noticed it in the early 1960's, but
that's when I left Louisville KY for Madison WI so dates may be less
important than places. (I am also so old or from such a strange place
that I have to "graduate from" something.)

dInIs

>Just when did "babysit" become a transitive verb? When I grew up in the
>50s and when we had our own children in the 70s, you would have someone
>babysit FOR your children. Now you babysit children. Where and when did
>this start?

Dennis R. Preston
Professor of Linguistics
Department of Linguistics and Languages