Harry Von Arsdale Avenue!

Peter Farruggio pfarr at UCLINK4.BERKELEY.EDU
Wed Aug 21 04:11:39 UTC 2002

I'm not sure about the original reference (is it a street in Queens, NYC?),
but Harry Van Arsdale was one of the biggest labor bureaucrats in NY City
in the 1960s.  I'm shaky on his personal history, but he was among the crew
of Democratic Party/Tammany Hall anti-communists who rose to prominence in
Labor as a result of the violent Red purges that started in the late 1940s
(and which later became known as "McCarthyism" when the senator from
Wisconsin jumped in front of the anti-Red parade).  I had several
unpleasant run-ins with his goon squads when I was helping to organize the
dissident taxi-drivers union and with some political struggles within the
AFL-CIO.  Not a nice guy in my book.