Prison-ese (2002)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Aug 21 23:50:30 UTC 2002

PRISON-ESE:
A SURVIVOR'S GUIDE TO SPEAKING PRISON SLANG
by Gary K. Farlow, J. D.
Port Townsend, Washington: Loompanics Unlimited (www.loompanics.com)
86 pages, paperback, $12.95
2002

   Shakespeare said to kill all the lawyers, but they seem to write all these
word books.
   Farlow is based in Greensboro, North Carolina.  From the back cover: "All
of the terms and phrases in this 'dictionary' were collected by the author
over a period of ten years while incarcerated in the North Carolina
Department of Corrections, Division of Prisons."  This book was prepared in
1997 and appears to have waited a bit long for a publisher.  Farlow says the
terms are still current, but "phat" is here.  There is a sex-bias--women's
prison words don't appear here.
   This is strictly a word list, with no bibliography or citations of any
kind.  Definitions are long than the DIXIE DICTIONARY, but still brief.  It
should probably be on the internet.  I'll give the word list for those
interested, and to make future ADS-L archive searching more complete.

Pg. 1:  AC/DC; baby life
Pg. 2:  baby raper; back biter; bad news; bagged and tagged; ball; balloon
Pg. 3:  beat down; beat it; beat your feet; beat your meat; been down; big
house; bitch
Pg. 4:  bitchin'; blade; blank; blase blase; blind side; blood
Pg. 5:  bloodman; blow; blunt; blunted; bo-bos; boche boy; boo; boomerang
Pg. 6:  boost; bossman; boulder baby; boy; break his grill; break me off a
little something
Pg. 7:  break off something in you; brother; browned down; buck; bug; bug
doctor
Pg. 8:  bug juice; bug out; bug unit; bumpin'; bumpin' pocket books; bunk
Pg. 9:  burn it up; burn one; burn the road up; bust a grape; bust your head
Pg. 10:  cadillac; can; canteen baby; car
Pg. 11:  carbon monoxide high; carry it to the door; catcher; chain gang;
check-off
Pg. 12:  Chester; chicken hawk; chicken stratch; chill
Pg. 13:  chokin' the chicken; chow; chow down; chow hall; chronic; chump
change; click; clockin'
Pg. 14:  closet queen; coal burner; C.O.; cock; cock diesel; Colonel Klink;
come get you
Pg. 15:  contract; convict; cracker; crib; cruisin'; cut
Pg. 16:  cut me some slack; daddy; DAP; diesel
Pg. 17:  dip my wick; dissed; di (down low); do the boys; doc; dog; dog boy
Pg. 18:  doggin' me; doing good; don't be the one; don't let today be the
day; don't make it happen; double bagger
Pg. 19:  dove; down; down like four flat tires; downside; draggin' me
Pg. 20:  dread; dread locks; duckin' and dodgin'; face
Pg. 21:  fell; fight game; fine; five'o; flip; flip flop; flip your stick
Pg. 22:  freak; from the get-go; front me; fuck head
Pg. 23:  gak; game face; gangster; gas; getback; get blunted; get it like
Tyson
Pg. 24:  get it with your muscle; get me; get on down the floor; get on the
board; get out of my face; get stupid
Pg. 25:  getting down; go for anything; go for it; go off; go to his ass; go
to war
Pg. 26:  got it going on; got it like the Feds got handcuffs; got you
covered; got your back; greened up
Pg. 27:  grill; gun camp; gunnin' down; gunslinger
Pg. 28:  hang; hang tough; hang with; hawk; hawk the man; head
Pg. 29:  head doctor; headlights; heart; he's got sugar in his blood; hit;
hit the fence
Pg. 30:  hole; hole time; homeboy; homes; homie; honeycomb hideout
Pg. 31:  hooch; house; hustle; hype; iceman
Pg. 32:  I fell into that; if you buy, I'll fly; I got her; I got one
Pg. 33:  iron pile; it's all good; it's dead; I went for that
Pg. 34:  J; jack off; jailhouse lawyer; jaws; Jody
Pg. 35:  john; Johnson; joint; jones; joog; jump on you
Pg. 36:  kick it; kickin'; kick to the curb; kite; kite flsuh
Pg. 37:  knee baby; knockin' boots; knockin' down; knot
Pg. 38:  leave something for the baby to do; let me get me; let me get that;
let me live; let me live with you
Pg. 39:  let me see the back of your head get small; let your clutch out;
lightbulb; like stink on shit; like white on rice
Pg. 40:  livin' large; loan shark; lock-down; lock 'n' load; lock-up; long
lap
Pg. 41:  lowdown; make tracks; man; man down
Pg. 42:  mash; max date; max out; max out camp; may-tag
Pg. 43:  meat; mojo; motel six; mother; mother fucker; mother's day
Pg. 44:  mouthpiece; mud duck; mule; my mouth ain't bleeding; my name's
Bennett and I ain't in it
Pg. 45:  my word; nature; nick; nickel; nickel bag
Pg. 46:  OK Corral; old lady; old man; on like a pot of neckbones
Pg. 47:  on state; on the fly; on the street; overloaded; over the hump
Pg. 48:  package; pancake; paper; park it; partner; payback
Pg. 49:  PC; peace up; peel your banana; peel your wig; penitentiary rich;
phat
Pg. 50:  phone call; pickin'; picks; pick(s) of the week; pissing into the
wind
Pg. 51:  pistol; pistol Pete; pitcher; play it off; play the pool
Pg. 52:  playin' the numbers; pluggin'; police; pop your clutch; pound
Pg. 53:  psych; ptomaine domain: A reference to the inmate cafeteria or "chow
hall."; pull the drivers; pull your nuts; pump iron; pumping; punk
Pg. 54:  pussy; pussy boy; put some water on it; put through changes
Pg. 55:  queen; rabbit; rabbit blodd
Pg. 56:  rack; rap; rap dog; rat; read my jacket; ready to roll
Pg. 57:  redneck; reel him in
Pg. 58:  ride; ride the broom; riding me; road dog; rock; rode hard and put
up wet
Pg. 59:  roll one; roll over; roll-up; roll-your-own; rolled down
Pg. 60:  run boy; scarf; scope out; screw; scribe
Pg. 61:  seemore; sewer trout: Half of a fish, the long variety of which are
typically served fried in most state prisons; shadow; shakedown
Pg. 62:  shank; shark; shell; ship; ship out; shit jacket
Pg. 63:  shit stirrer; shoe leather: Roast beef that is served by the state,
commonly known to be tough and stringy; shooter; shootin' boosters; short;
short lap; short me out; shrink
Pg. 64:  sidekick; signify; skeet; skeezer; skin; skin it back
Pg. 65:  skint; skull and brains; sky; slim-fast diet: A reference to someone
who is suspected of having or has in fact acquired immune deficiency
syndrome; slippin' and slidin'; smell some gas
Pg. 66:  snitch; spike a point; spittin' game; split your wig; spray; spread
your cheeks
Pg. 67:  square; squirrel; stag; state baby; state daddy; stim-fast diet: A
reference to someone who is addicted to crack cocaine. and has lost an
excessive amount of weight.
Pg. 68:  storebox; stove; straight; straight up; straighten; strapped
Pg. 69:  strapped down; street; string; strip search; strong-arm; stud
Pg. 70:  sucker; sugar daddy; suitcase; swap out
Pg. 71:  sweat; sweatin'; sweet; switch hitter
Pg. 72:  take care of business; taking off a piece of work; talk game; tell;
the bitch; the man
Pg. 73:  the wall; thick; three for five; throw hands; throw some groceries
down my neck: To eat; ticket
Pg. 74:  ticket man; time stretcher; to death; to die for
Pg. 75:  trap off; tree-jumper; trey-piece; trim; try; turn him out
Pg. 76:  turn key; turn over; turned out; twenty-four/seven (24/7); twist;
two-piece
Pg. 77:  two-time loser; under the gun; V
Pg. 78:  wad; wannabe; waterhead
Pg. 79:  what do you know; what goes around, comes around; what's going on;
what's hangin'; what's happening; what's shakin'
Pg. 80:  what's up; whine; white shirt; who owns the lowball; why don't you
play poker and give it a royal flush
Pg. 81:  wide open; woofin'; woof tickets; word up; working out; write-up
Pg. 82:  yard; yard closed; yard queer; you ain't gonna bust a grape
Pg. 83:  you know what's going on; you know what's happening; you know what
time it is