bath vs. bathe

yvonne frasure yvonne_frasure at YAHOO.COM
Fri Aug 23 04:09:30 UTC 2002

'I need to bath' is very common in the southeastern Kentucky region, as well as in West Virginia.  Here is a consideration...."I need to take a bath" ......Where will you be taking it too?   Take:  To lay hold of;capture; catch.  2) To get possession of; seize 3) to obtain by purchase 4)assume; appose upon oneself.........etc..etc.  Why not say I need to seize a bath?  possess a bath?
Bath...the washing or immersing of something especially the body in water or other liquid.
Bathe...To place in liquid, to immerse.  To wash; wet.
oh yeah..bath could also be defined as An ancient Hebrew liquid measure, equivalent to about 10 gallons.
So could we say that "I need to bath" is simply saying "I need to immerse myself in water" and would it be equal to saying "I need to bathe" meaning "I need to wash"
>From the first statement, one could assume that perhaps a good soak in the tub rather than a good scrubbing, heh?  Its simply a matter of what  you are used to...its all about conditioning.  I don't feel that the first is wrong, just not typically heard outside of appalachia or the south.
Yvonne
 abigail adams wrote:In the past I had a roommate from Hazard Ky (Southastern KY). When she wanted to get into the shower she would say "I need to bath" - I had always said and heard "I need to bathe" and "I need to take a bath"

I recently met another person from this same area and she said the same thing. Has anyone heard this confusion before - maybe in other regions?

"if you've never stared off in the distance, then your life is a shame..."

~~Adam Duritz~~
Counting Crows
Mrs. Potter's Lullaby