this weekend

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Aug 24 02:20:48 UTC 2002

At 9:16 PM -0700 8/22/02, LuNcHbOx wrote:
>it is a real easy problem to solve......
>
>this weekend is the one coming up
>
>next weekend is the one after that (or if it is in the weekend then
>it would be the one that is next, hence the word)
>
>and last weekend is the one that had just happened.....
>
>hope this helps...............

Well, it probably doesn't help you much if a friend calls you on
Monday to say "I had a wonderful time at your house this weekend" or
"I saw a great movie this weekend", unless you're willing to assume
time travel.  (And as noted, it also doesn't help for figuring out
what other people have in mind who use "this weekend" on Thursday or
Friday to mean the one that starts in eight or nine days.)
Prescription sometimes makes us feel good, but it doesn't always make
communication "real easy" with those who have a different
prescription pad (or none at all).

Larry