bath vs. bathe

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Aug 24 02:48:55 UTC 2002

At 3:24 AM -0700 8/23/02, Margaret Lee wrote:
>I grew up in Southeastern VA saying, "I need to TAKE a bath." My
>relatives in DC and New York say, "I need to GET a bath."

Gee, my relatives in New York don't say "I need to GET a bath" unless
they're buying (or stealing) the equipment (and then they're getting
the tub).  We all use "take a bath", or would if we had the time for
anything other than a quick shower.  (Actually, New Yorkers do "take
a bath", but it's usually in the stock market.)

larry