Bronx Cheer (1923); Easy Street (1889)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Aug 24 20:00:36 UTC 2002

   This continues a re-examination of New York terms using NEW YORK TIMES full text searching.

FORGETABOUTIT
   I couldn't find it pre-1986!

TIN PAN ALLEY
   This is another disappointment.  I couldn't find a good cite pre-1905.  I've found earlier.

FROG AND TOE
   This was an old nickname for New York City.  It means "cops and robbers."  Not in the database.

CANYON OF HEROES
   This is lower Broadway, so named for the many tickertape parades to honor heroes.  I couldn't find an early citation.

TICKERTAPE/TICKER TAPE PARADE
   Tickertape parade--2 September 1949, pg. 11
   Ticker tape parade--1 October 1938, pg. 1.
   Again, I was hoping for earlier.

BRONX CHEER
   10 April 1924, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 29:
   The crowd gave the hero a Bronx cheer for the effort and razzed him frequently thereafter, with some justice, too, for Ruth's actions were an insult to the intelligence ofthe people who had paid their good money to see him play baseball.
   4 May 1923, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 14:
   When Griffith, up again, flied to centre for the third out, the fans gave the Giants a hearty Bronx cheer.
   28 October 1909, pg. 2:
   Bronx Cheers for Hearst.
   29 October 1904, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 7:
   Bronx Cheers for Herrick.
(The RHHDAS has 1927--a TAD cartoon--for "Bronx cheer."  We now know that it's at least 1923.  The 1904 and 1909 citations clearly don't apply, but may be useful to determine if the term existed then.  It should be remembered that the Yankees--those "Bronx Bombers"--actually played in Manhattan until the House that Ruth Built came along, just about 1923--ed.)

EASY STREET
   23 September 1889, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 5:
   At San Jose the other night "Easy Street," a new comedy, was given a first production and went very well.
("Easy Street" is sometimes thought to have originated in New York.  This is our earliest cite so far--ed.)