Littly Italy, Chinatown, Hell's Kitchen, Tenderloin, and more

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 25 00:04:19 UTC 2002

   This continues searching using NEW YORK TIMES full text.
   "Frog and Toe," an old nickname for New York City, is in the RHHDAS from
1859.  I just thought that the NEW YORK TIMES, from 1851, would have it.
   Yes, I did look for "fuggedaboudit" and "fuhgedaboudit" and some variants.
 But even if these were used, one would still expect to see the English
"forget about it" or "forgetaboutit."

THE HOUSE THAT RUTH BUILT (YANKEE STADIUM)
   27 April 1927, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 19:
   But once the bell rung for real action the house that Ruth built awoke
like a firehouse and the occupants settled down to business.
(DICKSON'S NEW BASEBALL DICTIONARY gives no citation, but tells that the
nickname was used before Yankee Stadium was completed in 1923.  It's based on
the nursery rhyme, "The House That Jack Built"--ed.)

IF I CAN MAKE IT THERE, I CAN MAKE IT ANYWHERE
   Popularized in the 1970s Kander and Ebb song, "New York, New York."  A
search for "make it there" and "make it anywhere" turned up nothing before
the song.

CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS
   This is much earlier than the Kander & Ebb song.
   As I said earlier on ADS-L, I believe this was first used in San
Francisco.  There are some movie titles with this (see ADS-L archives, or the
movie database www.imdb.com).  The first NEW YORK TIMES hit is the rather
late 28 September 1924, pg. X5--and it's the movie title!

HIZZONER
   The earliest New York City citation here is 30 September 1921, pg. 22.  I
had found "hizzoner" in a story from 1886 about Chicago's mayor Carter
Harrison.

LITTLE ITALY
   21 October 1886, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 8:
   The Italian colony dwelling in "Little Italy," the territory extending
from One Hundred and Tenth to One Hundred and Twelfth street and from First
to Second avenues, was greatly excited yesterday over the killing of Antonio
Cignarale, a stonemason, by his wife.

CHINATOWN
   13 June 1860, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 3:
   On the 10th of June the volunteers returned to Chinatown and disbanded.
(In San Francisco--ed.)

HELL'S KITCHEN
   15 August 1881, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 5:
   The tramps on the West Side congregate in two dilapidated buildings known
as "Hell's Kitchen" and the "House of Blazes," in West Thirty-ninth-street,
near Tenth-avenue.

TENDERLOIN
   15 October 1889, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 8:
   A noteworthy characteristic of life on Sunday nights in what Inspector
Williams was once pleased to term the "tenderloin district"  is not the long
lines of persons going to church or to the houses of their friends, but the
groups of men and women with pinched expressions on their faces and anxious
energy in their steps making rapid time toward the nearest restaurants.

SILK STOCKING DISTRICT
   8 September 1895, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 17:
   Moreover, the "upper west side," which may properly be spoken of as a silk
stocking district, is not enthusiastic in its support of Mr. Lamy.
(I live on the upper east side, now called the silk stocking district.  Must
be the other stocking--ed.)

SAND HOG
   25 July 1897, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. SM6:
   These "sand hogs" or caisson men are perhaps the most unique body of
laborers in the world.  Working in compressed air far below the surface of
land or water is a diifcult, often, indeed, a dangerous trade, and the wages
are proportionately high.  "Sand-hogging" is not skilled labor, but few
skilled laborers and master workmen get higher pay than these men. (...)
   "The Bend" is the fate that awaits nearly all of the "pressure workers" as
the caisson chamber men are also called.  It is known, too, as the "caisson
disease," and much resembles rheumatism.

LOUNGE LIZARD
   16 May 1917, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 22:
   ...they have heard of the lounge lizards.

LOBSTER PALACE
   8 January 1905, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. SM2:
   From 12 until 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning the huge supper restaurants
are wide open.  Occasionally they are spoken of as "lobster palaces."

SCOFFLAW
   16 January 1924, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 2 headline:
   "Scofflaw" wins prize as stigma for "wets."
   11 October 1952, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 21:
   Another traffic violator, William James Tierney, 31, a salesman of 40
Birch Avenue, Farmingdale, N.J., did not fare so well as Mr. Friedman.
Calling Tierney a "scofflaw," the Chief Magistrate fined him $360 and sent
him away for fifteen days.
(The first cite above is for the "scofflaw" word contest that I'd already
reported.  That was about illegal drinking.  The second citation is the first
one to have both "scofflaw" and "parking ticket"--ed.)

PARKING TICKET
   4 September 1927, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 17 headline:
   Judge Gets Parking Ticket to Appear in His Own Court.

PARKING METER
   17 July 1935, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 21 headline:
Oklahoma City Autoists Plan to Fight
Nickel-in-Slot Curbstone Parking Meters

DOUBLE PARKING
   30 October 1927, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. XX14:
   The ordinance also provides for loading zones in certain locations for the
purpose of eliminating the double parking nuisance.