Beisbol (1926)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 25 23:44:24 UTC 2002

   Greetings from the NYU Bobst Library.  Someone from the Bobst family decided it would be a good idea to have art in the library, so they just took away the entire card catalog and over half the computers.  The other half of the remaining computers--Dells--just crashed and have been crashing all day.  The computer I'm on now--Apple IMAC--isn't really geared for the library's databases, and it's slow.  So my mountains of stuff today probably won't get done.
   I checked the NEW YORK TIMES full text database for "coin" and "new word."  "Guesstimate" came up again.  Also there were "Floridabbling" (4 April 1926, pg. E4), "Communizi" (25 August 1939, pg. 15), "Slavaxis" (27 January 1941, pg. 4), "Hominist" (1 October 1911, pg. C3), and "Visa" (3 May 1858, pg. 2).

   5 April 1926, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 15:
_MEXICAN TAKE TO "BEISBOL."
_Coin New Word to Meet Demands of_
_Latin Voices in Baseball Chatter._
   NOGALES, ARIZ., April 4 (AP).--"Beisbol" doesn't look it, or sound it, but it's "baseball."  "Beisbol," newly coined word, meets up demands of Latin pronunciation for the game. (...)

   7April 1972, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 19:
_The One and Only_
_Lawrence Peter (Yogi) Berra_
(...)
   On a well-known restaurant:  "Nobody goes there anymore.  It's too crowded."
(Slightly earlier than before.  I used different search words--ed.)