Running Mate (1861, 1884); Good Loser; Tough Get Going; Mr. Nice Guy

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Aug 26 08:43:34 UTC 2002

RUNNING MATE

   More horses.  OED has 1868 for the horse use and 1900 for the political use.

   19 July 1861, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 7 ad under "THE TURF" header:
   Samuel McLaughlin names _Ethan Allen_ and his running mate, _Socks_, to wagon.

   17 August 1884, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 7:
   From the representations made in the Republican press, it would appear that the Irishmen and working men had risen en masse against Cleveland, and had determined to support either Blaine or his running mate, Butler.

SHOW ME A GOOD LOSER, AND I'LL SHOW YOU A LOSER

   Nothing is earlier than this Jimmy Carter interview.

   6 June 1976, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 195:
   In his campaign autobiography, Carter cites an aphorism he says he firmly believes: "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH, THE TOUGH GET GOING

   Joe Kennedy supposedly said this, but this is the earliest here.

   22 August 1965, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. SM16:
   ...he (Ted Kennedy--ed.) accepts his father's motto ofr his sons: "When the going gets tough, the tough get going."

IF YOU CAN'T LICK' EM, JINE' EM

   Later, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em."

   18 November 1934, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 16:
   He (Senator Robinson of Arkansas--ed.) declared that Senator Vandenberg "evidently believes in the famous political maxim 'If you can't lick 'em, jine 'em.'"

NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY

   The first "Mr. Nice Guy" on the NEW YORK TIMES database seems rather late, in a Russell Baker column of 30 May 1972, pg. 37.

   9 December 1979, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. BR9:
   No more Mister Nice Guy.
(This is an ad for the book THE PROGRAMMER by Bruce Johnson...Shouldn't "Mister Nice Guy" be in the revised OED?--ed.)