lonely vs. lonesome?

Mon Aug 26 15:04:20 UTC 2002

I have a tendency to use lonely with +human ("I'm just lonely boy")
and lonesome with -human ("I heard that lonesome whistle blow") to
cite from songs, as folk seem to like to do these days.

The restriction on "lonely" with -human is strongest; for me, a
"lonely whistle" is one longing for company (unlikely); a "lonesome
whistle" is one which evokes lonely feelings in its listeners (like a
"lonesome sight" does in its viewers, etc...).

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
Professor of Linguistics