Go (Japanese game) & "Hear/Speak/See No Evil" Monkeys (1884)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Aug 27 04:10:51 UTC 2002

A HANDBOOK FOR TRAVELLERS IN
CENTRAL & NORTHERN JAPAN
by Ernest Mason Satow & Lieutenant A. G. S. Hawes
London: John Murray
1884 (Second edition)

   If you really want to antedate the OED, just find out what it already read
and read those same books.   OED cites this book about 7 times, and author
Satow about 17 times...I was looking for "Ground Zero" in Japan when I came
across the title.
   The first edition was in 1881.  I had read the _THIRD_ edition of Murray's
JAPAN.  Strangely, the authors there  (third edition, 1891) are Basil Hall
Chamberlain and W. B. Mason.
   This book has a "GLOSSARY OF JAPANESE TERMS" on pages 552-557.  OED used
_one_ term from the glossary!

Pg. 446:  Close to this tree is a sumptuous stable for a sacred white pony,
kept for the use of a god, whence the name _Jimme_.  Immediately under the
roof are some cleverly executed groups of monkeys, severally represented as
closing their ears and mouths and shading their eyes  with their hands.  They
are called _san goku no saru_, "the monkeys of the three countries," i.e.
India, China, and Japan; those with long hands are evidently Indian, but it
is difficult to fix the nationality of the others.  They are also punningly
called _kika-saru_, _iwa-saru_, and _mi-saru_ (not hearing, not speaking, and
not seeing monkeys).

Pg. 552
   GLOSSARY OF JAPANESE TERMS
(I'll select some food terms or terms already in the OED--ed.)

Pg. 552:
_Ai_, a kind of trout (_Salmo altivalis_).
_Amego_, a freshwater fish.
_Ame-mochi_, rice cakes eaten with _ame_, a sweet glutinous substance
prepared from rice or millet.
_Awabi_, large mollusc, whose covering is called "Venus'-ear shell"
(_Haliotis gigantea_).
_Fukube_, gourd.
_Go_, a game resembling draughts.
Pg. 553:
_Hara-kiri_, self-disembowelment.
_Iwashi_, a fish resembling a pilchard.
_Iwana_, a freshwater fish.
_Jin-riki-sha_, a small, light vehicle for passengers, drawn by one or two
men.
Pg. 554:
_Kafika_, a freshwater fish.
_Kofi-tsuke_, preserved in _kofi_, a substance resembling yeast.
_Ku-ri_, kitchen.
_Masu_, salmon-trout.
_Mei-shiu_, a variety of sweet _sake_, q.v.
_Mihan_, orange.
Pg. 555:
_Mi-rin_, sweet alcoholic liquor prepared from rice.
_Miso_, fermented paste composed of beans and barley.
_Mmeboshi_, dried and salted plums.
_Mochi_, cake of glutinous rice.
_Namadzu_, a fabulous fish.
_No_, lyric drama of the 15th century.
_Rim-bo_, the _chakra_, or so-called "Wheel of the Law."
_Sake_, liquor brewed from rice.
_Samurai_, vassal of noble, entitled to wear two swords.
_Satsuma imo_, sweet potatoes.
_Sazaye_, a shell fish (_Turbo cornutus_).
Pg. 556:
_Shin=\-to_, the native religion of the Japanese.
_Sumomo_, edible plum.
_Tai_, a fish (_Serranus marginalis_).
_Tokoro-ten_, seaweed jelly.
_Tori-i_, the gateway to a Shin-to temple.
_Yamame_, mountain trout.
Pg. 557:
_Yama-zakura_, wild cherry.
_Yashiki_, a mansion.
_Yen_, dollar, the unti of Japanese gold and silver coinage.
_Yu-au_, Japanese lemon.