Salt Water Taffy

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Wed Aug 28 13:15:53 UTC 2002

I'd be a bit suspicious of these claims by candy store owners that
salt water taffy was invented at their particular shop (with a
supporting anecdote similar to the one you've reported).  I
remember reading a similar story just a year or two ago concerning
a shop in Ocean City.  It was printed on a nice card that had been
inserted in the box of taffy.  It never even occurred to me to bring it
in and have Jim Rader look into the matter; I just assumed it was
an apocryphal piece of self-promotion.

Joanne Despres