New Yorker's "Jam;" Cat Suit; Southern Tongue, Coxford Singlish Dictionary

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Wed Aug 28 16:05:11 UTC 2002

In a message dated 8/28/02 4:34:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Bapopik at AOL.COM
writes:

>    U.S. Open tennis player and runway supermodel wannabe Serena WIlliams
>  described her new outfit as a "catsuit," or "cat suit."  Has this been used
>  before for this article of clothing?
>     She's the cat's meow in it.

It's been around for some years, although I cannot give a date.  I do
remember some newspaper article a while ago recommending it "for women who
never have to go to the bathroom".

You might check old theatrical reviews of the Andrew Lloyd Weber musical
"Cats".

I first read the above quote as "runaway supermodel".  I find it hard to
believe that a person could become a supermodel while specializing only in
runway work at fashion shows.

       - Jim Landau