"88," White Power for "Heil Hitler"

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Wed Aug 28 21:50:04 UTC 2002

On 28 Aug 2002, at 17:16, Laurence Horn wrote:

> Some of which 88 keys are white, and some black, all playing together
> in peaceful harmony (and each set pretty boring on its own).  Does
> make you wonder.
>
> Larry

True -- but then, I get the feeling that these criminal subculture types tend to
be deaf to the implications of their own language and imagery.  Isn't there
some Mafia initiation ceremony in which the inductee is warned not to betray
the cause lest he "burn like a saint"?

Anyway, "88" sounds to me like a typical football player's number.
I wonder if it holds some special significance for a sports fan. Or
maybe it just looks cool on a jersey.

Joanne