"88," White Power for "Heil Hitler"

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Wed Aug 28 23:54:06 UTC 2002

        "88" differs from "bang for the buck," "picnic," and other allegedly undesirable derivations in that it is based solely on current meaning, not on any supposed etymology.  And it does seem that there is some basis for the claim of a racist meaning, though it was new to me.  From Stormfront.org, a White Nationalist web site:

>>A Quick FAQ

What does "88!" mean?

88 is a code number representing "HH," as "H" is the eighth letter of the alphabet. HH, in turn, means "Heil Hitler!". I've also heard that "88" used to mean "Hugs and Kisses" when used by ham radio operators; evaluate it within context. <<

        "88" may go back a bit.  From a 1995 article, at http://magazine.14850.com/9509/bigot.html:

        >>April 1946, Hitler's birthday was approaching on the 20th (today it's a holiday in Idaho) and the word was out that unreconstructed Nazis were going to greet each other by saying Achtundachtzig, (eight-eight). "H" being the eigth letter of the alphabet, 88 would be "HH" or "Heil Hitler." Cute? We let it be known that we didn't give a damn if they actually said the words "Heil Hitler." This underground code eventually died.<<

John Baker