"Big Muddy" (Missouri or Mississippi RIver?); Barbeque (1760s)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Aug 29 09:37:20 UTC 2002

BIG MUDDY

   The RHHDAS has two entries for "Big Muddy."  It's 1825, 1859, and 1913 for
the Missouri River.  It's 1846 and then 1956 for the Mississippi River.
    Check out these citations, found on the NORTH AMERICAN WOMEN'S LETTERS
AND DIARIES database.  The excerpts I copied don't clearly state which river,
but you can check for yourself.

Enos, Salome Paddock, _Diary of Salame Paddock Enos, September 1816_, in THE
DIARY OF SALOME PADDOCK ENOS, SPringifeld, IL: Illinois State Historical
Society, 1920, pg. 377:

   Monday 30th cloudy roads better traveled over the pyraees found pleasant
beyond my expectations forded big muddy put up at a miserable cabin had an
Idiot for landlady and a savage for a landlord 17 miles.

Steele, Eliza R. Stansbury, _Letter from Eliza R. Steele, July 12, 1840_, in
SUMMER JOURNEY IN THE WEST, New York: John S. Taylor, 1841, pg. 205:

   At the mouth of Big Muddy river, forty miles below Kaskaskia, we stopped
to take in wood, and we went on shore to take an evening stroll.

BARBEQUE/BARBECUE

   I have a stack of food terms here, but I'll throw in a quick "barbeque"
and "barbecue" from the earliest cites on this same database.

Holyoke, Mary Vial, 1737-1802, THE HOLYOKE DIARIES, 1709-1865, Dow, George
Francis, Salem, MA: Essex Institute, 1911.

_Diary of Mary Vial Holyoke_, May 1761, pg. 50:
   Went to a Barbeque at Jonson's, 50 in company.

_Diary of Mary Vial Holyoke, June 1761, pg. 50:
   Went to Barbeque at ye Fort.

_Diary of Mary Vial Holyoke_, January 1764, pg. 64:
   Went to a Barbeque at Jonson's.

Thornton, Anna Maria Brodeau, 1775?-1865, _Diary of Anna Maria Thornton,
September 1800_, in DIARY OF MRS. WILLIAM THORNTON, 1800-1863, Washington,
DC: Columbia Historical Society, 1907, pg. 196:
   They had been at a Barbecue at the Hotel Spring given by Darnall the
Sheriff.