"88," White Power for "Heil Hitler"

Thu Aug 29 18:30:04 UTC 2002

Yes, of course. Beverly is right (at least among the people I quickly
interviewed). All (younger) people made this connection. If we
followed this path some of the most insulting words in the language
would be OK because they didn't "originally" carry such meaning. It's
important to suggest, however, at least from the work we have done in
folk linguistics, that "original" and "true," "standard," "accurate"
are often synonyms (and, we think is in part responsible for the folk
fascination with etymology).

dInIs