"Some of my best friends are Yale men" revisited

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Aug 30 07:37:48 UTC 2002

   I had posted a 1921 citation (an article title) for "some of my best
friends are Yale men."  In 1936, a book was published titled SOME OF MY BEST
FRIENDS ARE JEWS.  Later, it would be "some of my best friends are black."
   Looking at it again with NEW YORK TIMES full text, it appears that my Yale
friends probably came first.  That 1921 article might have coined it, but
Fred can look at the various hits.  Some of them are:

   10 March 1933, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 22 (John Kiernan's Sports of the
Times):
   "And as for Yale," said the Princetonian loftily, "it's a nice place.
Some of my best friends are Yale men."

   29 January 1934, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 20 (John Kiernan's Sports of the
Times):
   "Bob Quinn is a fine fellow and some of my best friends are Brooklynites."