Last in the American League (1904); Bullpen (1913)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Dec 2 21:07:19 UTC 2002

TOUGH GET GOING

   I searched for "the going gets tough" and "the tough get going" and 1961 was the earliest.  I knew I was missing something, and I was going to try a simpler query later.  I then searched for "going gets tough" and "tough get going"--leaving out the "the"--and got the three earlier hits.
   It certainly looks like it wasn't coined by Joe Kennedy...In that post, "being" should have read "behind."

I'M FROM MISSOURI

   I didn't find it in the COLORADO SPRINGS GAZETTE or the ROCKY MOUNTAIN NEWS of 1897.  You go blind looking at that small print.

LAST IN THE AMERICAN LEAGUE

   27 June 1904, WASHINGTON POST, pg. 8:
   Charley Dryden says: "Washington--First in war, first in peace, last in the American League, rah, rah, rah."

BULLPEN

   Paul Dickson's BASEBALL DICTIONARY has 1915?

   17 August 1913, WASHINGTON POST, pg. S2:
   He corrects the faults of the youthful trajectory hurlers and takes them to the "bullpen" in the afternoon and keeps them warmed up.

   12 April 1914, WASHINGTON POST, pg. 10:
   At this juncture Manager Callahan crooked his index finger and "Butcher" Benz ambled in from the "bull pen."