another dialect-related student query

Herbert Stahlke hstahlke at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Wed Dec 4 02:51:46 UTC 2002

Larry,

Have your student look into the English for Specific Purposes (ESP)
literature.  There's also a journal by that name.

Herb

...from a different student than the one who was wondering about
research on the pin/pen neutralization and the explanation of where
and why we find "git" for "get".  (Anything on that?)

This other student was wondering where she should look for research
on restricted,
technical registers of English ("Boeing English", "scientific
English").  Has anyone worked (or seen work) on these proposals, or
come across papers, manuals, and other relevant data on these
technical registers?  (I recall something called "Basic English", but
I'm not sure that's the same idea.)

--larry