"dialing" (was Re: Obsolete term: touch typing)

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Wed Dec 4 19:39:46 UTC 2002

> #Telephones are still very much around; we just (mostly) no
> longer dial
> #them (I have one dial instrument left in my house).
>
> I think I still say "dial" a number. Why not?

I believe that the original point was that the retronym "dial telephone" and
its counterpart the "touch-tone telephone" are no longer in widespread use.
It has simply gone back to the original "telephone" without modifier. The
verb "to dial" is alive and well, as witnessed by those annoying Carrot-top
"dial down the middle" commercials--which is an interesting phrase in and of
itself.