Lebkuchen (1850)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Dec 5 20:30:28 UTC 2002

PICTURES OF NUREMBERG:
AND RAMBLES IN THE HILLS AND VALLEYS OF FRANCONIA
by H. J. Whitling
in two volumes
London: Richard Bentley
1850

VOLUME ONE
Pg. 80:  For the truth is, I always had a great desire to see it; and, even when a boy, had made up my mind, if possible, to visit it at some time or other, were it only to see the dungeons, and eat some of its famous "eggs," without being then aware that the "Nuremberg egg" was the same kind of vegetable novelty as the "English turnip;"...

Pg. 224: ...we will add no more upon this, beyond stating that Punch is drunk, and much Lebkuchen* eaten and given away by the orthodox on this occasion.
*Leb'kuchen, or, as it is called by some, lebbe (sweet) in the Osnaburg dialect, or otherwise Leben-kuchen, life-cake, a delicious kind of gingerbread, white or brown, for which Nuremberg is so much celebrated; and as the gentlemen have been indulged with a recipe for the "nectar," it would be unpardonable in us to omit the same consideration for the ladies; and, therefore, we have been at the pains to procure the necessary directions for the preparation of the "ambrosia" also.  Imprimatur!--
   Take eight eggs, beat them, yolks and whites together, for half an (Pg. 225--ed.) hour, with one pound of finely-sifted white sugar.  Rub into this the peeling of a whole lemon; mix it well; also, a table spoonful of ground spice, viz., one part of cloves, one part cardamums, and two parts of cinnamon; the same quantity also of finely cut candied orange peel; half a pound of blanched and roasted almonds shred in small pieces; one pound of fine dry flour--the whole to be well blended together, and spread out in convenient sizes on wafer (in Nuremberg they are always of this <> form, about eight inches by four inches), and baked in a quick oven.

Pg. 227:  These eggs the children are informed are laid by the hares* at this season,...
*See the translation of "The Easter Eggs," Die Ostereier, by H. J. Whitling, from the German of Christoph. Von Schmid.

Pg. 262:  Tea is served on these occasions at about half past five or from that to six o'clock, and it is called a "sweet tea," from the multitudinous cakes that accompany it, many of which are of the most delicious description, except that they are sometime a little _too_ sweet.

VOLUME TWO
Pg. 32:  So, then come and take this trout; get him ready for breakfast as quickly as possible, sparing neither eggs nor schmalz!

Pg. 48:  We had devoured sundry trout of our own catching, and a few dishes of "etwas dezu,"...

Pg. 147:  My heart clicked like a Nuremberg egg;*...
*The name given to the "watch" originally made there.

Pg. 223:  ...Molkenkur*...
*Goat's whey.