Teaching With a Kentucky Accent

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Thu Dec 5 21:53:11 UTC 2002

Here's a counter-example:  it's always struck me as funny that the
"Boston accent" seems to enjoy status outside eastern MA.
Whereas I grew up thinking of it as a sort of working-class dialect,
my friends from out of state associate it with the aristocratic
Kennedy clan.  On the other hand, a Latina friend from NYC just
howls at the way Bostonians pronounce "Nomar Garciaparra."
Those Bostonian aristocrats can't roll an "r" to save their lives, it
seems!

Joanne Despres
Merriam-Webster