Obsolete term: touch typing

Fri Dec 6 00:34:35 UTC 2002

David Bowie (REALLY???) writes,

  >> I have to admit that i'd *never* made any connection between the verb
  >> 'type' and the noun 'type'...

That's the stuff projecting from the little ball-thing that sits in the
middle of the Selectric. Or, on earlier machines, at the ends of levers,
where they actually constituted *movable type*, the levers being activated
(sort of like the hammers in a piano) by striking the keys on the keyboard.

The original machine was called a "type-writer." Sam Clemens (who was the
first person to write an entire book with the device) did a
testimonial-type ad for it.


More information about the Ads-l mailing list