Goethe (was: Which and Falaqa)

AAllan at AOL.COM AAllan at AOL.COM
Fri Dec 6 02:18:34 UTC 2002

<< Unless they're pronouncing the name of the street in Chicago, which
(I'm told) is something approximating "go-EE-thee", not "GUR-tuh".

larry

My father was a professor of German at the U. of Chicago. He didn't have a
car, so once when he went to an event in the posh North Side neighborhood of
Goethe St he took the bus. He was careful to give the bus driver the proper
German pronunciation of the street name. It took considerable discussion
before the driver comprehended that he wanted to get off at go-EE-thee
street. - Allan Metcalf