Kolache (1896)

Kathleen E. Miller millerk at NYTIMES.COM
Tue Dec 10 14:07:05 UTC 2002

At 06:54 PM 12/9/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Kolaches are most popular in West Texas, where Czech immigrants settled in
>1852.

Mandatory on road trips - or sometime the excuse for one - was a stop for
kolaches at "The Little Czech Bakery"  (or any of the several bakeries that
bank a stretch of I-35) in West, Texas - the actual name of the town. Not
west Texas - out by Midland-Odessa.  I wonder which one the citation is
referring to?

Something else that might be of interest to Mr. Popik. That same bakery not
only has kolaches, but sausage stuffed dough thingys they call "Little
Chubbies" - not widespread American food - but damn popular in Central
Texas. Get the "Spicy Chubbies" with or without cheese.

One more thing of interest to Mr. Popik - watch for Safire's Dec. 15th
column. Merry Christmas.

Kathleen E. Miller
Research Assistant to William Safire
The New York Times