lexical vs. lexicographical

Frank Abate abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Dec 16 13:59:48 UTC 2002

Larry H said:

I see know that our apparent disagreement was largely over goals and
terminology.  What I do is research on lexical semantics and
pragmatics, which is a different enterprise from that of doing
lexicography per se.  In his original posting, Frank was deprecating
(ordinary) google as a tool for LEXICAL RESEARCH, which I take to
include what I do.  In the current post, he refers more specifically
to LEXICOGRAPHICAL RESEARCH, which is a more specific kettle of fish
(although a kettle in which I too like to angle from time to time).

So the disagreement is amicably resolved, and thanks to this thread I
now know about the very useful (to me) search engine at
http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search, so it's been a
constructive disagreement as these things go.
<<

You are right, Larry -- I used "lexical" too loosely, and should have said
"lexicographical" originally.  That is what I really meant.

Right, too, that this useful discussion led to a good outcome, on both
sides.

Frank Abate