Safire comma

Kathleen E. Miller millerk at NYTIMES.COM
Mon Dec 16 14:26:47 UTC 2002

It hasn't been rejected by the Times. Safire likes to use what the Times'
editors call "false titles." In my copy, and after my proof, the piece
read, "Etymologist Barry Popik..." Since the gurus at 43rd street wont let
him do this, they changed it to "Barry Popik, an etymologist..." and the
second comma was inadvertently left out by the copy editor in New York. I
rarely get to see the final proof down here in the little old DC bureau, so
I didn't have time to catch it.

Kathleen E. Miller
Research Assistant to William Safire
The New York Times