Cole Porter

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Dec 16 18:34:21 UTC 2002

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> Perhaps because the "Mussolini" line wasn't an original line
> and wasn't written by Cole Porter.  It was inserted by
> P. G. Wodehouse (!) for a later production.

My bad.  Looking at The Complete Lyrics of Cole Porter, I see that
Mussolini was not in the original lyrics.  CLCP says that P. G. Wodehouse
added lyrics for the London production; it doesn't indicate that the
Mussolini line was among these (i.e., it doesn't tell what the Wodehouse
additions were), but I'll take Jesse's word for it.

Fred Shapiro