Cole Porter

Millie Webb millie-webb at CHARTER.NET
Mon Dec 16 20:32:12 UTC 2002

I presumed that this is the same "Astor" as the "Lady Astor" I would expect
many of us to have heard of.  Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?  --
Millie

----- Original Message -----
From: "Baker, John" <JMB at STRADLEY.COM>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2002 2:22 PM
Subject: Re: Cole Porter

>         A Waldorf salad is a salad named after the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel
and made from apples, walnuts, lettuce and/or celery, dressed with
mayonnaise.  They are still popular.  A Berlin ballad is a song by Irving
Berlin, probably the most popular American songwriter.  Mrs. Astor (née
Caroline Webster Schermerhorn) (1830 - 1908) was the unquestioned doyenne of
New York City society for decades.  The upper reaches of NYC society were
often called the "four hundred," a reference to the number of people who
could fit in her ballroom.