The ANC (was: Using the BNC)

Wendalyn Nichols wendalyn at NYC.RR.COM
Wed Dec 18 17:20:10 UTC 2002

Anyone who is not aware that there is a consortium building an American
equivalent to the BNC should check out
http://americannationalcorpus.org/

A corpus is an invaluable tool that enhances and facilitates a
lexicographer's ability to analyze the behavior of language. It doesn't
replace citation cards/an electronic citation bank for etymological
purposes or for illustrations of the uses of words that predate the range
on the corpus. I would argue, however, that it should replace citations as
a main source of example sentences for uses that fall within the date range
represented in the corpus, particularly for the core of the language--the
most common words that are under-represented in citation banks because they
are not "interesting" as a focus of antedatings or neologisms. Corpora vary
according to their collection criteria: some are synchronic and some are
diachronic, with varying spans of years; some focus only on, say, newspaper
text, and others strive for a balanced range. The BNC (and the nascent ANC)
contains everything from highly edited text from scholarly journals to
ephmera. The ANC will contain e-mail. So it's not accurate to say that all
the texts in corpora are edited.

The key difference between a corpus and a bank of citation cards is that
citations center around a term that stuck out to the citation gatherer for
any number of reasons, and the surrounding context is usually quite short
(less than 250 words); a corpus, in contrast, contains long stretches of
uninterrupted text. This makes a corpus a superior tool for analyzing
frequency of use of common terms (invaluable for second language learners'
dictionaries), collocational behavior, and usage patterns.

People have argued that if a citation bank is in electronic format, it
amounts to a corpus, but I disagree: the stretches of text are simply too
short to attempt any meaningful analysis of discourse markers, argument
threads, and other rhetorical devices such as the way people set up stories
they are about to tell. It's very difficult to persuade people until they
sit down and actually USE a corpus--try, for example, to write the entry
for "set" using citation cards AND a corpus. I find that all doubt about
the value of a corpus disappears after that exercise.

Wendalyn Nichols
(advisor to the ANC consortium, and British-trained lexicographer)