Derivation of the word oaktag

Towse self at TOWSE.COM
Fri Dec 20 19:09:12 UTC 2002

Judy Yeh wrote:

> I heard "oaktag" while attending elementary school in Jamaica, Queens,
> from 1985-1990. My teachers were all middle-aged or elderly, and I think
> they grew up (or at least lived most of their lives) in Queens, in
> neighborhoods like Flushing and Fresh Meadows. Come to think of it, I
> don't think my classmates used the term--only the teachers did--and I
> never heard it again after I finished elementary school. Many (perhaps
> most) of the teachers at my high school did not grow up in New York
> City.

Raised in California, Bay Area. Never heard the word until it
came up in this question. So is it poster board or isn't it?

Sounds like a trademark-gone-generic sort of derivation.

Sal
--
3K+ useful links for writers, researchers and the terminally
curious <http://www.internet-resources.com/writers/>