FWD: inquiry

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Sat Dec 28 18:48:34 UTC 2002

My memory is that the phrase was coined by Hubert Humphrey when he was
promoting welfare reform in the late '50s and early '60s--probably when he
was running for President in 1960.  At least we loyal Minnesota DFLers gave
him credit for it in the good old days before Vietnam.  He also conceived
of the Peace Corps, which Kennedy then appropriated when he beat out
Humphrey in the primaries (I remember, sadly, the day he lost West Virginia).