Mien, Momo (1894)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Feb 1 00:44:37 UTC 2002

ACROSS ASIA ON A BICYCLE:
THE JOURNEY OF TWO AMERICAN STUDENTS
FROM CONSTANTINOPLE TO PEKING
by Thomas Gaskell Allen, Jr., and William Lewis Sachtleben
New York: The Century Company
1894

   I think it's 1894.  The first page was missing, and the NYPL has an 1894 edition and a 1903 edition.

Pg. 18:  ...ekmek, yaourt, and raisins.
Opp. Pg. 20 caption:  EATING KAISERICHEN (EKMEK) OR BREAD
Pg. 20:  But the worst mixure, perhaps, was the "Bairam soup," which contains over a dozen ingredients, uncluding peas, prunes, walnuts, cherries, dates, white and black beans, apricots, cracked wheat, raisins, etc.--all mixed in cold water.
Pg. 62:  ...ekmek and yaourt (blotting-paper bread and curdled milk).
Pg. 103:  From these he would occasionally fish out with his fingers some choice lamb _kebabh_ or cabbage _dolmah_....
Pg. 105:  ..._inam_, or Persion bakshish....
Pg. 166:  Millet and coarse flour, from which the mien, or dough-strings, are made is the foundation, at least, for more than half the subsistence of the common classes.
(OED has 1934 for "mien," from Webster.  What does the revision have?--ed.)
Pg. 172:  Our fare in China, outside the Gobi district, was far better than in Turkey or Persia, and, for this reason, we were better able to endure the increased hardships.  A plate of sliced meat stewed with vegetables, and served with a piquant sauce, sliced radishes and onions with vinegar, two loaves of Chinese _mo-mo_, or steamed bread, and a pot of tea, would usually cost us about three and one quarter cents apiece.
(OED has 1970 for "momo" dumplings--ed.)

WOP--Didn't I post this in 1996 or 1997?  There were many songs with "wop" in the title.  The infamous "Wop, Wop, Wop" song title is 1908, I believe.  Check WorldCat.

WINDY CITY--As I've said many times, please write to the Chicago Tribune's Reader Representative, Don Wycliff, at dwycliff at tribune.com, and tell him that "Windy City" has been clearly wrong now for over half a decade.  He won't even respond to me, but maybe one of you (Michael Quinion, William Safire) will get a response.  An e-mail costs nothing.
   Then try the Chicago Public Library, and the Chicago Historical Society, and it's wrong on the mayor's web page, too....