Boerek and Soujouk (1831); Don't Know Borsht

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Feb 5 00:56:20 UTC 2002

BOEREK, SOUJOUK

NARRATIVE OF A JOURNEY ACROSS THE BALCAN,
BY THE TWO PASSES OF SELIMNO AND PRAVADI,
ALSO OF A VISIT TO AZANI
AND OTHER NEWLY DISCOVERED RUINS IN ASIA MINOR
IN THE YEARS 1829-1830
by Maj., Hon. George Keppel
(The NYPL has the author as "Albemarle, George Thomas"--ed.)
London: Henry Colburn and Richard Bentley
1831

   This book has lots of Turkish terms, set nicely in italics.  Most aren't in the OED at all; I won't push them.  "Borek" (add umlaut) and "Soujouk" aren't in the OED, but I will push them.  "Borek" is on page 138 of the latest LAROUSSE GASTRONOMIQUE.

VOLUME ONE
Pg. 57:  We saw here a man bruising wheat, to separate the seed from the husk; this was preparatory to making a sort of eatable, called _turkhana_.  The seed, after being exposed to the sun, is boiled with milk and water; and, after a second esxposure, is fit for food.
Pg. 128:  They comprised some excellent bouilli beef (for in this the Turk surpasses the French); a _boorek_, a very greasy description of slim cake, enclosing some savoury minced meat; and some roasted quinces.
Pg. 203:  ..._semavar_ (or the tea-kettle)...
(OED has 1830 for "samavar"--about the same time as this writing--ed.)
Pg. 311:  Their made dishes are exceedingly good, as I can testify, particularly a certain sausage called _soochook_ and some _cabaubs_ made of fine herbs.  Their ordinary articles of food are cheese, _yaoort_ (curds), eggs, and a salad, which they make from cucumbers, capsicums, onions, and garlic.

VOLUME TWO
Pg. 61:  Our breakfast this morning was a cake, called _bourreck_, the component part of which were flour and tallow.
Pg. 241:  There are several vineyards im the neighbourhood, but the fruit is unfit for the confection of wine; it is dried in the sun, and serves to make vinegar, and a sort of treacle called _pitmis_.
(OED also does not have "petmez"--ed.)
Pg. 308:  ...I was disturbed by a most vociferous "three times three."  The cheers....
Pg. 421:  The dishes were served in violation of all our rules of eating; soup after _entrees_, fish after jelly, the _roti_ preceded by ice, the _piece de resistance_ by an _omelette aux confitures_.

DON'T KNOW BORSHT

   David Shulman has a little space behind the librarians where he keeps many of his books.  It's a space for reading special materials.
   William Grimes (a food writer from the NEW YORK TIMES) showed up today to read some menus.  Shulman asked him (because Shulman wasn't credited in STRAIGHT UP OR ON THE ROCKS) if Grimes remembered speaking with him many years ago.  Grimes didn't.
   Shulman then told Grimes that his friend, Barry Popik, returned from Cuba with wonderful stuff on drinks.  Shulman also told him that Popik is antedating every single food term, from everywhere around the world.
   Grimes never heard of him.