Chocolate in America (1765?); New York Eats Out (2002)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Feb 5 04:00:42 UTC 2002

At 2:45 AM -0500 2/5/02, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>CHOCOLATE IN AMERICA
>
>TRAVELS IN NEW-ENGLAND AND NEW-YORK
>by Timothy Dwight
>Late President of Yale College
>in four volumes
>New-Haven
>1821
>
>VOLUME ONE
>Pg. 504:  The manufactures of Boston are numerous and considerable.
>Among them are soap, candles, chocolate, loaf-sugar, beer, rum...
>Pg. 505:  The Chocolate, made in this town by Cunningham fifty years
>ago, was superiour to any, which has ever been made in the United
>States.
>
>(Cunningham?  Fifty years ago?  The old story is that _Baker's_
>chocolate was begun by John Hannan in Dorchester, Mass., in 1765.
>Cunningham has never been mentioned anywhere, by anyone.  But
>Dwight, who's from Yale and should know, says it's from at least
>1770, and it's the best?--ed.)

Maybe we can ask Dan Cunningham, chief "chokolada" [sic] of Dan's
Chocolates, who is positioning himself to be "the Ben and Jerry's of
chocolate" (see
http://www.businessweek.com/smallbiz/0007/tr000731.htm or
http://webbusiness.cio.com/archive/051200_chocolate_content.html)
is a descendant.  I haven't found any superiour Cunningham chocolates
around here, even at Timothy Dwight college at Yale, but I'll be
happy to keep my taste buds open...

larry